Big arms are mainly about triceps so in order to build massive arms forget about the biceps being priority because they aren’t. The triceps make up approximately two thirds of the upper arm mass and should be prioritised. In order to build the triceps you need to know that compound moves which can be more heavily loaded are most effective at building mass and therefore superior to isolation work. Compound moves that hit the belly of the muscle are most effective for example Narrow Grip Bench Presses and Weighted Dips. The JM.Press is another great movement. Of the isolation exercises Overhead Tricep Cable Extensions (with either a rope or bar) are most effective at stretching and building the rear head of the triceps. Around 8 to 12 reps is optimal range for tricep hypertrophy.
To build big biceps your core move should be a compound exercise that recruits the biceps as part of a larger movement, for example chins (preferably weighted). Exercises which isolate the biceps should also be utilised. Avoid excessive volume – sometimes less is more, the biceps is a relatively small muscle and doesn’t require lots of sets to grow. In fact too many sets are counter productive and lead to overtraining. Additionally utilise exercises that build the brachialis muscle which lies underneath the bicep – this will result in your arms becoming thicker. The most productive exercises for this are Neutral Grip Chins and Hammer Curls. Also increase range of motion by using incline bench for Seated Dumbell Curls – Incline curls are great mass builders also.
5 Workouts To Build Massive Arms
1.Close Grip Bench Press: 4 sets x 6 – 8 reps
2.Cable Rope Overhead Tricep Extension: 3 sets x 8-12 reps
3.Tricep Push-downs straight bar 3 x 12 reps
1.Weighted Chins (supinated) 3 x max reps (preferably weighted if you can do ten or more chins)
2.Barbell Curl: 3 sets x 6-8 reps 3.Hammer Curls 2 sets x 8-12 reps
1.Weighted Dips 3 x 10 reps 2. Skull-Crushers (EZ bar) 3 x 10 – 12 reps
3.One Arm Triceps Extension: 2 x 12 reps with each arm
1. Cheat Curls EZ bar 3 x 6 – 8 reps 2. Standing D/bell Hammer curls 3 x 6 – 8 reps 3. Straight Bar Cable Curls: 3 x 8 – 10 reps
1. JM Press 3 × 6 – 8 reps 2. Overhead Triceps Rope Extensions 3 x 12 reps 3. Tricep Push-downs with rope 3 x 10 – 12 reps
2.Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3 x 6-8 reps
3.Lying Cable Curl 3 x 10 -12 reps
1. Narrow Grip Bench Press 3 × 6 – 8 reps 2. Seated Overhead Tricep Extensions 3 x 10 – 12 reps
3. Tricep Push- downs 3 x 8 -10 reps
1. Neutral Grip Chins 3 x 10 reps (add weight if you can do more than 10 reps) 2. Barbell Curls 3 x 8 reps
© Denys Kovtun | Dreamstime.com – Champion doing pull-ups.
1. Skullcrushers 3 x 10 reps 2. Overhead Rope Pulley Extensions 3 x 10 – 12 reps
3. Tricep Rope Push-downs 3 x 10 reps
1. Supinated Chins 3 x10 reps 2. Standing D/bell Hammer Curls 3 x 10 reps
3. Seated Incline Curls 3 x 6 – 8 reps
Give these workouts a try in order to build massive arms of the sleeve splitting variety. Nail down your nutritional needs and be sure to ingest a good protein supplement within an hour post workout.
Even more importantly, get your rest – you grow when you sleep not when you workout. Try to get 8 hours minimum quality sleep every day.
© Jasminko Ibrakovic | Dreamstime.com – Bodybuilder Doing Pull Ups Exercises For Biceps